October 20, 2009

Mommy's Mishap

It's amazing how fast events can occur. Our lives can change within seconds. Like for me, one second I am driving on the interstate and the next thing I know my car is in the median entangled with the median barrier cables. My heart is racing, my breathing is fast and heavy, and my limbs are shaking. I am shocked and in panic mode. Can this really be happening to me?

As most of you are aware, I was in a my first car accident on Thursday, October 15th. Talk about scary! For the record: I was not my fault. However, that doesn't seem to matter now because MY insurance will have to deal with the claim since I didn't catch the license plate number of the semi truck that so graciously ran me off the road. The furthestest thought from my mind at that moment was "hey let me get this guy's license plate number before I head into this median over here." I know that most of us (me especially) hate having to pay for insurance. Let me just say I am extremely grateful for it after the year we have been having. Claim #1: First, we get hit by a hail storm that damages our roof and siding. We have the siding repaired, but the roof is on hold at this time. We are still waiting for the remainder of the money for our roof. (Who knows if we will get it now. We will just be lucky if they don't drop our policy.) Claim #2: I totaled the car. We all know what that means.......higher insurance rates!

I guess I can't think of my accident this way. I must think of just how lucky I am to have walked away from this accident without any injuries. I must have had angels watching over me. I like to believe the angles names were Jessica and Kelli. http://www.jessicaandkelliuhl.com A couple years ago, these 2 teenage girls were killed on this interstate after a state trooper crossed the median and hit their car head on. Because of these two girls, the median barrier cables were installed. These girls/cables may have just saved my life.

This picture does not do my car justice. I took a beating from those barrier cables. There were parts ripped out from underneath the car and scattered in the median. My entire rear window and windshield is cracked. The back passenger window is busted out. As you can see, the front end is gone. The top of the car is dented and scratched. We have not heard back from the adjuster. However, I think I see a different car in our near future.

5 comments:

Mom said...

So glad that you are okay. after we talk I too had tears on how lucky you were. I thank God for keeping you safe and I prayed to the Blessed Virgin the a Rosary for keeping you safe.
I love you my Elizabeth Ann
Mom

Aunt Peg said...

Wow - thank goodness for those guard rales. Yes, there are angels!!! So glad you are not hurting!!!

Katy said...

God was truly looking out for you!

Grandma Connie said...

We are all so thankful you were not hurt -- thank you, God! Cars are replaceable -- you are not.

Em and Steve said...

I'm so happy to hear you are okay. I will keep you in my prayers for sure!