October 2, 2008

A case of MCS

Anyone ever heard of Middle Child Syndrome? Well, I think my little Joshua has early stages of it and I may just have been the one to give it to him. Maybe it's all in my head, but I do often feel as though he is the "black sheep" of my 3 boys. Today confirmed my speculations.

Here is the story. Joshua did not go to preschool last Thursday due to him having a fever. (which we later found out was related to a double ear infection) The day he missed school, his teacher handed out permission slips for a field trip that took place today. When I picked Joshua up from school on Tuesday, his teacher handed me the permission slip. This was the 1st I had heard about a field trip. I immediately checked my calendar the moment we got home. Low and behold, I was scheduled to work. I quickly called my boss to explain the situation thinking she would help me out. No such luck! How could I miss his first ever field trip? Nick could not go on the field trip because one must attend a class in order to volunteer in the classroom and accompany their child on field trips. You guessed it. Nick did not take the class. Needless to say, I was not able to go with Joshua on the field trip to the Doctor's office today. (Dd is the letter of the week) Will he ever forgive me? Will I ever forgive myself ?




4 comments:

Katy said...

I'm sure Joshua was fine, b/c he is such a confident, happy kid. I bet it was hardest on you Liz, b/c your such a great Mom. :)

You'll go on the next field trip, I'm sure! And this one was only in town.

You're still the best Mom!!!

Anonymous said...

This will not be the last case of the "guilts" you have! And then when they grow up, you hear stories from your kids and you feel guilty all over again. Your Joshua is so beautiful, and bright, and strong and funny and unique -- middle child -- someone has to be. So is my Nick -- wouldn't change a thing about him! Not at the moment, anyway!!

Jaycie and Randy said...

Give yourself alittle credit! You are an awesome Mommy and Joshua is a very loved little boy!! It is probally harder on you that you couldn't go than it is on him!! There will be MANY more trips to come and I know you will be there with bells!

Lindsey said...

Don't worry....you are a great mom and I guarantee he won't have mcs!! Don't be to hard on yourself!